Do you love classic quilt patterns? Then you are going to love the Kaleidoscope Blanket! This free intarsia crochet blanket pattern features three crochet blanket squares that capture the look of a classic quilt square. You can mix and match the squares and the colors to create the crochet blanket of your dreams!
I love quilts! Maybe it’s my love of blankets, design, and colors, but quilt patterns are one of the things that I collect photos of on Pinterest. Growing up, my mom and I used to quilt together, and more recently we both have started getting back into it. It’s so fun to put together fabric to create an heirloom blanket. It’s the same way with yarn! You can put together different yarns into so many combinations, and it’s amazing what you can create with it. If you love creating something like that, then you will love this pattern!
Want to save this pattern for later? Save it to your favorite Pinterest board!
I love the style of classic quilts, and wanted to infuse that into the construction of this blanket by having it be made in a similar style. There are three different type of square options to make nine different sizes of blankets. All of the sizes are listed below the graph patterns.
21 Days of Blankets is here!
It’s time to deck the halls with lots of blankets, because the 21 Days of Blankets is here! I’ve designed a lot of blankets over the years, and this year I’m showcasing 21 of my favorite blankets I’ve designed. From December 1 to December 21, I’ll be sharing one free blanket pattern a day! It’ll include the free graph or written pattern, and then a 50% off coupon for the PDF version.
The 50% off coupon code for Etsy and Ravelry is: BLANKET
Want 20 other blankets plus this one?
If you love this blanket pattern, and want to get 20 more, you can get them all in the 12 Days of Blankets pattern bundle! This bundle includes all 21 of the patterns featured in the 21 Days of Blankets pattern event. From blankets perfect for the holidays, ones for a nursery, to a wide range of other fun designs, there’s a blanket pattern great for each person in your family! Get your copy of the bundle for just $10 by clicking the button below!
Hook size: 6 mm crochet hook
- Worsted Weight (Yarn Weight 4) yarn in 4 colors: Lion Brand Basic Stitch Premium and Anti Pilling
- Main Color (I used white) 650 yards
You’ll need multiple colors to make the colored parts of the quilt squares.
- Plum: 66yards
- Strawberry Twist: 109 yards
- Hot Pink: 51 yards
- Boysenberry: 66 yards
- Prism: 48 yards
- Tan/White: 61 yards
- Mustard: 85 yards
- Pumpkin: 30 yards
- Grass: 61 yards
- Ivy: 66 yards
- Blue/White: 111 yards
- Tourmaline: 111 yards
- Turquoise Heather: 103 yards
- This pattern is made using US crochet terminology, but the UK equivalents are listed in the Key.
- The pattern involves color changes using tapestry crochet. Experience with color work is recommended, but if you’re a beginner to tapestry crochet than you can totally do it!
- I recommend reading through the pattern completely before beginning just to make sure that you understand everything in the pattern.
- Color changes happen are indicated by the color appearing in parentheses. See chart for full picture of the color changes.
- The arrows at the beginning of the rows indicate what direction the row is worked on in the chart.
- Each block uses 4 colors: the main color, and three other coordinating colors. You can easily make each block in just one color besides the background.
Free Graph Patterns:
To make this blanket, use the graph patterns in the free downloadable graphs below, mixing and matching to get the square amounts to create the width and height of the requirements below.
Blocks required for each size:
- Baby Blanket: 3 squares x 3 squares
- Crib: 4 squares x 5 squares
- Twin: 6 squares x 8 squares
- Double: 8 squares x 9 squares
- Queen: 9 squares x 12 squares
- King: 9 squares x 9 squares
- Throw: 4 squares x 5 squares
- Lapghan: 3 squares x 5 squares