It’s day 2 of the 31 Days of Candy here in the Makery! Today’s pattern is a throwback to all of the classic lollipops you get as a kid for being good at the doctor’s or in your trick or treat haul. I always found it funny that my doctor would give candy as a reward when they’re supposed to promote healthy living. Did you ever experience that sweet paradox? The free crochet pattern for the day is another crochet lollipop pattern, but this time it has a cute twist and is called the Silly Sucker!
My fiancé, Stephen, thought right away of a Tootsie Roll Pop when he saw this. Have you ever tried to count how many licks it would take to get to the center of those? I never tried, and would instead end up biting my way to the center when I got far enough. I was always disappointed though when I got to the center, because I never liked the taste of it. Good thing all this cute crochet pattern has is a soft and plushie center! It’s tiny and sweet, and the perfect little candy companion to have all year long.
I once again used a Weight 3 yarn for this project because it helps make the pattern be tiny while still having all of the details you want. I used Premier Yarns Downton Abbey yarn for this crochet lollipop, which has a really pretty sparkle to it. It almost mimics sugar! You could use any weight 3 yarn for this project though! I think it would be fun to even do a lollipop in a higher weight yarn so that you can have a giant crochet lollipop.
Love this pattern? Save it to your favorite Pinterest Board!
(This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. See my full affiliate disclosure here.)
- DK Weight sparkly yarn such as Lion Brand Mandala Sparkle or any other Yarn weight 3, DK yarn
- Paintbox yarns color 108 Light Camel or Lion Brand 24/7 cotton in Camel
- 4.00 mm crochet hook
- Black and pink felt
- Black embroidery floss
- embroidery needle
- yarn needle
- stitch marker
- st = stitch
- sc = single crochet (UK Double Crochet)
- dec = decrease
- fpsc = front post single crochet (Here’s a great Youtube tutorial for this stitch!)
- The pieces of this pattern are crocheted in continuous rounds with no joining. Mark the beginning of each round with a stitch marker. The silly sucker is worked from the top down in continuous rounds.
- Pattern uses US crochet terminology, but the UK terminology conversion is listed in the stitches used list above.
- Face is made of felt pieces that are cut out and sewn on to crocheted piece. Download my Felt Pieces for Plushies PDF Printout for the face pieces you’ll cut out of felt. Cut two eyes out of black felt, and the mouth piece out of pink but do it longer so it looks like a tongue sticking out. If you don’t know how to sew on felt pieces, see my Youtube video below that shows how to do it.
Silly Sucker Pattern:
Rnd 1: sc 5 in magic circle (5)
Rnd 2: sc 2 in each sc (10)
Rnd 3 : *sc 1, sc in next st *repeat around (15)
Rnd 4: *sc 2, sc in next st *repeat around (20)
Rnd 5: sc 20 (20)
Rnd 6: fpsc 20 (20)
Rnd 7: (work in tops of sc loops from round 5 that the last round crocheted in front of), sc 20 (20)
Rnd 8:*sc 2, dec 1 *repeat around (15)
Sew on eyes, stitch mouth and sew on tongue as pictured
Rnd 9:*sc 1, dec 1 *repeat around (10)
Rnd 10: dec 5 (5)
Fasten off, and weave in ends.
Paintbox yarn Col 108 Light camel
Rnd 1:sc 4 in magic circle
Rnd 2-6:sc 4
Fasten off, leaving tail for sewing. Sew to lollipop.
Now you’re all done!
I hope you enjoy this pattern as much as I do! There are so many fun patterns coming up. The only problem is that I’m finding myself wanting to eat as much candy as I can get my hands on. Is that really a bad problem though? If you’d like to receive the 31 Days of Candy free crochet patterns delivered directly to your inbox throughout the month of October, sign up for my newsletter here and receive a new one each day! If you missed yesterday’s pattern, the Jolly Lolly, you can find it here.